top of page

Local Amenities

Loose is situated approximately two miles south of the County Town of Maidstone in Kent.

Loose Valley in the heart of the parish first became a Conservation area in 1970 and offers some fine walks. The Loose stream which runs through the valley in an east-west direction rises in Langley (approx. 5 miles away) and meanders through to Tovil.


The spire of All Saints’ Church can be seen rising above the valley. This church dates back to medieval times and nowadays aside from the regular church services, it is also home to various community groups in the Loose area.

Situated alongside the stream and just around the corner from All Saints’ church, is the Chequers public house and restaurant, which dates back to the sixteenth century, when it was a coaching inn.

In the village centre, on the other side of the Loose stream and mill pond is Brooks Field. This is a public amenity space which is owned and maintained by Loose Parish Council. This is where the parish council is aspiring towards creating a wild flower meadow. Fine views of the village can be enjoyed from the pig-seat at the top of Brooks Field.


Coming up from the valley, the steep incline of Old Loose Hill represents a fitness challenge. If you walk up the hill towards Maidstone, you will find the Loose Post Office, where newspapers, produce and essential goods can be purchased.  The Shell garage at the Linton crossroads at the southern end of the parish also sells provisions.


At the top of Old Loose Hill is the Loose Village Green, which is also owned by Loose Parish Council. Here, stands an oak tree which was planted in 1897, in honour of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee.


Opposite the Village Green are the McAlpine Trust allotments. The allotments are owned by a charity trust, and the day to day running of these is the responsibility of the Loose Gardeners’ Society.


The main A229 Loose/Linton road runs through the parish and is carried over the Valley by the viaduct. This historic structure was built in 1830 and is a fine example of Thomas Telford’s engineering work, with 50 foot spans between tall piers.


Off the main A229 Loose Road, down Walnut Tree Lane at the northern end of the parish, is the King George V (KGV) Playing Field. This is a recreational area for the people of Loose, which alongside the Loose Parish Pavilion is owned and maintained by the Loose Parish Council. The Pavilion which is adjacent to the KGV playing field is where the parish council normally holds its meetings. 

There are two Local Schools in the parish: Loose Primary School - situated on the A229, opposite the Walnut Tree Public House and Cornwallis Academy (Local Senior School) located at the southern end of the parish, on the corner of Linton and Heath Roads.

bottom of page